Monday, June 21, 2010

A cross country adventure




So the past couple days Stephanie and I have basically been doing a crash course on Ireland. Of course. So we already hit the Aran Islands and now we are going wild in Dublin visiting all the cool places to go. Yes. All of them. Her travel book isn't letting us miss any. Which is actually pretty cool and fun. Dublin definitely has a freaking ton to see. And a ton of a history to go along with all of that. It's great.


Last night we basically walked around a bunch and investigated the main quays (said keys not ku-ways... don't sound like an idiot now.) which are beautiful and house a lot of pubs and restaurants and what not since it's right on the river. Then we checked out some of the MANY shops here in Dublin and let me tell you something. It's ridiculous. I gotta say this is without a doubt one of the biggest cities I've ever been in and it's definitely the biggest that I've actually gotten to spend time in. The only other contender for me is Chicago or Atlanta but I've hardly had much more time than a few hours to investigate either of those cities. But dang this city is huge and freaking jammed with people. And with a million shops to go along with them.


It was honestly a little weird because since there were so many people in the shops, the floors or shelves were a mess. Seriously. I'm talking clothes, jewelry, shoes, whatever! All on the floor or in heaps everywhere. It was kinda funny and ridiculous at the same time. I felt really bad for all of the floor attendants that work at these places. Oh well. That's what they get paid for right.


But it was very cool seeing all of those shops that I usually don't get to see despite the fact I live in the Lou. You know what's not cool? Cameras breaking on their own. Yup. That's pretty much the lowest of the low my friends. And that is where I'm at right now. Killer timing let me tell you! Seriously I get to Dublin. In the biggest city in Ireland with tons of sights (not to mention plenty more places to see in the next few weeks) and my brand spanking new Nikon S8000 that I just got has a lens error and so now the lens motor sometimes freaks out and the lens cover won't open fully. Brilliant! Luckily I have now figured out that I can push the lens cover open so that I can continue taking pictures but I have honestly no idea what to do seeing as I bought the camera in the States. Oh well. That's how it goes.

But anyways, Stephanie and I did a lot today. Went and saw the Book of Kells, this amazingly illustrated, monk copied, version of the gospels from hundreds of years ago. It really was beautiful. And we saw Trinity College which was both beautiful and hilarious thanks to our goofy tour guide. She was quite the cynic. Then we saw Dublin castle, Merrion Square (I think that's the spelling) where there was a street performer competition. Quite exciting stuff. Lots of fire and what not. Then we saw a bike race going through town, and then ended the night with a tapas dinner with Patty and his girl Jessie and then hit up a pub for some live music.

We do so much. It's insane.

And now I'm adding on a short description of our third day in Dublin. Travel into town for a late breakfast because we got ditched sorta. Jerks. Then our little gang of Stephanie, Jessie, Patrick and I were joined by Patrick's little sister, Annie and we all went to the Guiness Storehouse to take a tour. And we got our free pint. That stuff is strange. I almost like it but something about it gets me. Oh and I sold Stephanie's free pint ticket to Patrick for 2 euro. Good deal. Then Stephanie and I went to the nearby abandoned jail that was used during WWI and the Irish civil war. Very neat stuff and lots of old creepy abandoned hallways and atriums and the like. Then we ate possibly the worst meal of our adult lives at this cheap buffet “international cuisine” place and checked out this super sweet bridge and headed back to Galway for a wonderful walk home.

No comments:

Post a Comment