Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Onto London!

Man. This trip is going at an insane speed.

This may a short post simply because I am in Barcelona now and have to also write a post for Paris as well. Like I said. Insane.IMG_0512 But I like it and it’s totally worth it despite being in each city for only about a day and a half each. And good times have been had in all of them. Including the the factory from the cover of Pink Floyd’s ANIMALS album to start off London. Brilliant.

 

 

IMG_0520

 

 

IMG_0529

IMG_0538 Then onto Buckingham Palace for our first real spot. Absolutely gorgeous and there were roughly around 3000000 other people there. Although I may have to recount them. Then to Westminster Abbey, Parliament and Big Ben as well as the London Eye. We were hitting landmarks like moles in a a carnivale game.  There were peace protesters in the square next to Parliament who had been there since May and were getting kicked out. Lame. I respect their endeavors immensely.

 

IMG_0563

 

IMG_0591 Then we went to the Tate Modern [Art Museum] and spent a solid 3 hours there because it was so cool. I took zillions of pictures… on my iPhone. Sad day. I forgot if I’ve mentioned this but I forgot my nice camera! Makes me sad every day. Nevertheless, pictures were taken and it was brilliant. I love modern art and I saw pieces there that I’ve only dreamed of seeing. I mean they had an entire room dedicated to Marcel DuChamp’s work and replications. So amazing!And I really loved the huge halls they had for the installations.

IMG_0590

 

IMG_0599

 

IMG_0619 Moving on, we also saw the Globe Theatre, Tower Bridge and Abbey Road before calling it a day and while Patrick and Leigh headed off to Amsterdam and Brussels, I met up with my mate Kyle who lives in London and crashed.

 

IMG_0626

IMG_0642 Then day 2 in London was a little slower starting off with a trip to the Tate Britain which was cooler than I thought it would be especially since it had a cool exhibit with old jet fighters as birds. And I also saw a Modrian piece which I was totally in awe of. And then after that it was off to the “Creator’s Project” which was a sweet art exhibition put on by Intel and Vice (an art magazine in London) and it was really sick.

 

IMG_0693 Basically it was about newer artists that are finding ways to merge art and technology and letting them put on installations, shows or whatever the heck they want. There were around 11 installations all from artists from around the world including this interactive triptych as well as a program that allowed you to paint in 3d. Then I saw a psuedo-documentary from Ladj Ly about drug IMG_0706trafficking in France and I also got to see Spike Jonze’s new film “I’m Here” about two robots falling in love and it was freaking amazing. Great emotions for robots but I guess he got some experience with the technology with “Where the Wild Things Are”.

 

After that they had DJ's from around the globe including Peaches and then some live shows from the lead singer of Bloc Party and other big name electronic acts. Seriously it was an IMG_0722awesome night filled with art and mayhem. Also some fashion art/tech stuff was shown including a Augmented Reality fashion show. I’d have to explain it in person but it was sick. And a video dj who live mixed people dancing to music… to different music. Weird but absurdly cool.

 

London was fantastic. And I freaking love riding the tube. So easy and fun. I wish every city had a subway. That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment