Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Oxegen 2010!

So since that last update a bunch has happened. I’m going to split it up a bit though or else one post would be at least a novel long.

First I went to the Galway Film Fleadh (film festival here) and saw a couple fIMG_0367ilms including this amazing low budget Irish film called My Brothers and watched a Q&A afterwards with the actors and director. Then I also saw a French animated film from the same animator who the The Triplets of Belleville several years ago and won an Oscar I believe. Both films were really brilliant and the animated one was absolutely gorgeous. Well done.

IMG_0386 Now to the main event, Oxegen. So when my buddies and I got jobs working security, one of the big events we were covering is this humongous music festival called Oxegen. It’s along the same lines as Bonnaroo and Coachella so there’s camping, music, and mud. Tons of mud. And rain. So there are honestly a million stories to tell but the main points are that standing in a dance hall with dance music pumping to the point IMG_0398 that it rattles your core for 16 hours a day… is brutal stuff. We had earplugs so the noise level wasn’t too bad but listening to pretty much the same music all day is absolutely killer. At least we were inside for the most part since it rained like crazy the whole weekend which in turn made every single person super muddy and gross.

 

IMG_0407

 

Overall it was an ok experience but I wish I could have gotten some more time off to see bands since we worked from 10am to 2am IMG_0409 everyday pretty much. Killer on the feet but hey! We got around 400 euro for just a 3 day period working. That’s pretty solid I’d say.  And I did sneak off and see like a minute of Black Eyed Peas, D12 and Temper Trap. Success! And I heard Prodigy, Eminem, and Mumford and Sons when I was directing 80,000 to the busses home. Crazy stuff.

ThenIMG_0397 we camped in the rain too which meant pretty much everything was wet. Perfect. But I did sleep relatively well. If only the gruel the  company gave us for food tasted better… oh well. Free food is free food. And also free tea. Which I love.

 

Overall, Oxegen was quite an experience but dang did my feet hurt!

No comments:

Post a Comment